Just in time for the summer grilling season, there’s some exciting news about mustard. In addition to adding a lot of flavor to summertime favorites, mustard is also good for you! French’s, America’s favorite one-hundred-plus year old brand, wants people to know that they have and always will be 100% natural and that mustard has some “Naturally Amazing” health benefits, too.
As individuals continue to seek out products that are “all natural” and demand transparency from their favorite brands, French’s reminds us that mustard is not only a beloved condiment, but a flavor-packed ingredient we can feel good about eating.
Grilling remains a favorite cooking method because it’s quick, easy and delivers distinctive flavor without the fat. Grilling is also one of the healthiest food preparation methods you can employ and with French’s tips for great summer grilling recipes that incorporate mustard, you’ll enjoy the double benefit of recipes that taste great and are nutritionally sound, as well.
French’s is made from #1 grade stone ground mustard seed, has zero calories and no fat. It packs a lot of enjoyment in the yellow bottle that for French’s begins with whole mustard seeds mixed with a blend of select herbs and spices.
Mustard actually dates back thousands of years to the early Romans, who ground mustard seeds and mixed them with wine to create a paste very similar to the mustard we use today. In addition to being one of the oldest condiments, mustard has long been revered for its health benefits. Did you know that:
- Mustard contains selenium which is touted for its anti-inflammatory properties
- Mustard is also high in antioxidants which benefit cells by protecting them from free radicals
- Mustard is a good source of magnesium which has been shown to have a positive impact on reducing pain associated with migraines
- Mustard contains niacin which can lower cholesterol levels and reduce plaque accumulation in the arteries as well as protect against hypertension (high blood pressure)
With French’s family of mustard flavors like Classic Yellow, Spicy Brown, Honey, Honey Dijon, Dijon with Chardonnay and Horseradish, you can reap the healthful benefits of mustard while creating a variety of exciting summer recipes such as Super Juicy Chicken. It’s so easy, just coat chicken with mustard sprinkle with your favorite dry rub, grill and enjoy. French’s Mustard seals in the flavor and juiciness for a delicious dish that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
GRILLED HERBED VEGGIE SANDWICH
Prep Time: 25 mins Cook Time: 5 mins Serves 4
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup FRENCH’S® Classic Yellow® Mustard
2 tablespoon, chopped fresh basil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 of a small, eggplant (about 3/4 pound)
1 medium, zucchini
1 large, red onion
2 large, ripe plum tomatoes
1 large, red bell pepper
8 slices Mulitgrain sandwich bread (could use gluten free bread)
1. Combine oil, mustard basil and garlic in small bowl.
2. Cut eggplant and zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Cut onion and tomatoes crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cut red pepper lengthwise into 2-inch wide pieces; discard seeds. Place vegetables on platter. Baste with reserved mustard mixture.
3. Place vegetables on oiled rack or vegetable basket. Grill over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, basting and turning once.
4. Layer vegetables on 4 slices of bread; cover with remaining 4 slices of bread.
I love dijon so I used this in a glaze that a pork roast cooked in all day.
It came out delicious and I'll be making this again for sure! I used a combination of recipes I found and added a few things myself.
1/2 C. Dijon mustard
1 TBL coarse-grain mustard
1 TBL red wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
2 lb boneless pork roast
1/2 C. chicken broth
2 TBL white wine
Combine all the glaze ingredients, set aside. Place the potatoes and veggies in a large crock-pot, place the roast on top and pour the broth and wine over. Lastly, pour the mustard glaze over roast and veggie. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
ready to slow cook
*Disclosure* I wrote this review and or giveaway for "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" about Frenchs Mustard. The product(s) in this review were provided to me free of cost for the purpose of conducting my review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own. Product info and stock images if any are provided by PR or Co.