Sunday, August 24, 2008

Church Supper Chicken and Wild Rice Hot Dish



Many years ago, when I first found the communities of the World Wide Web, I was part of many cooking boards. This recipe was shared on one of those. I was happy to have found it online as I only had my print out. I've always loved it, but have only made it a few times over those 9 years. My version of this is that I use a jar of mushrooms (fresh would be good too), 3 boxes of Rice-A-Roni Long Grain & Wild Rice (gasp!), and shredded jack cheese. I prepare the rice seperatly as directed to the box, cook up the rest of this recipe and layer it all in a 9x13 pan. This would be a great potluck dish.

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
1/4 cup dried mushrooms, such as morels or porcini
3 cups diced cooked chicken
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 cups cooked wild rice
1 cup grated brick, Muenster or other mild white cheese

Preheat the oven to 350'.
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute it until it is translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and stir to blend it in.
Pour in the stock and half-and-half cream, and bring just to a simmer, whisking frequently. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, whisking often, then add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the dried mushrooms, chicken and parsley.
Lightly oil, or spray with cooking spray, a 2-quart casserole dish. Spread the wild rice in the bottom of the casserole. Spoon in the chicken mixture, then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbling. Serve hot.

~ Adapted from Judith M. Fertig recipe from Prairie Home Cooking, found online here.






Part of Tina's blog event:
Photobucket


enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

7 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you on Blogher. That chicken looks great! I'm always looking for new chicken recipes. Thanks!

priscilla joy said...

that looks great, yummo! that's great you made that bread, i am going to give it a try too with mangos, could you give me the link again for where you wrote about it? the first one didn't work. thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks to Mommy's Kitchen for providing a link.

This would definitely be a winner at any potluck.

Anonymous said...

DELICIOUS! I found this recipe on Pinterest in late 2012. I made it tonight Feb 19th 2013. I also made it with Rice-A-Roni Long Grain Wild Rice, and shredded monterey jack cheese. I scaled the recipe down as it's only my husband and myself....empty nesters. I only used 1 box of rice an used 3 small chicken thighs boneless skinless chicken thighs I bought and then diced. We loved it. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Unknown said...

do you think broccoli would be ok with this recipe? my daughter is allergic to mushrooms. i hate to change something that might really alter the taste drastically and since mushrooms are so mild and broccoli has a more flavorful taste i wanted to make sure if anyone else had made alterations and it came out ok.

Rachelle S said...

Hi Susan, I think broccoli sounds fantastic in this! I would try it. :)

Post a Comment