Friday, July 30, 2010

Review: Rustic Crust






Two big names in good-for-pizza -- Rustic Crust, known for its organic, gluten-free, and all natural pizza crusts, sauce and frozen flatbread pizzas, and American Flatbread Company, famous for its wood-fired flatbreads -- have joined forces. In addition to producing its own pizza crusts -- its motto is "Crust you can Trust" -- Rustic Crust is now baking American Flatbread Frozen Pizza in wood-fired ovens.

Rustic Crust uses traditional, Old World baking methods, forming each crust by hand, and allowing the dough to rise slowly, double proofing it for maximum flavor. The unbleached flour provides a slightly richer color, while hand forming each crust produces the distinctive, rustic texture also found in artisan breads. American Flatbread's pizza is crafted from scratch and par-baked in a wood fired earthen oven and comes in several varieties, with cheese and veggie toppings or plain cheese and herb - just heat and serve!


You can find Rustic Crust and American Flatbread in natural and grocery stores nationwide. Learn more at http://www.rusticcrust.com/ and http://www.americanflatbread.com/.

Follow them on their media outlets Facebook and Twitter.

We were given the chance to review these two products, but unfortunately American Flatbread is not available in CA so I could not review it. I did find Rustic Crust available at Windmill Farms which isn't too far from us (it's a natural grocery store, like Henry's if you know them). They had 1 rack of the ready made crusts with some sauce. So that's all I had to choose from. I would've preferred a frozen flatbread instead I think. They had 3 flavors to choose from, sourdough, whole wheat and cheesy herb. Not big selection, and that's after the kid went and got 2 more of their stock to refill.
I decided to make a Hawaiian style pizza for lunch with the Cheesy Herb flavor Rustic Crust. Pineapple, ham, garlic, mozzarella, sauce and Italian seasoning. The crust did not look appealing, the cheese was hard and plastic-like and the dough/crust was a little hard like a disc but did smell good. It wasn't very big, what 12" but fed all 5 of us for lunch. The kids liked it, I still wasn't crazy about the crust, it was sort of dense and nothing like a traditional pizza crust (you can see it in my collage). About an hour after eating it, 2/5 of us had tummy aches. I probably would not buy the ready made crusts again, but I'd like to try their frozen flatbread variety (even the flavor combinations of those sound good!). I think they were $3.99 each for the ready made crusts.


I wrote this review for "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" about Rustic Crust. I received free product coupons for this review. All opinions for this review are that of myself & family. Product info & stock images provided by PR.

Print
Pin It!

0 Lovely Comments:

Post a Comment