When I saw these breadsticks over at Jamie Cooks It Up!, I knew I had to try these. Easy they were! The dough was super easy to get together, and even shape into the pan (my large cookie tray). You'll need to cut the dough prior to baking into strips, makes it easier to pull apart when done, I did mine in rows of 9w x 3L to make 27 sticks. While these were baking Mr. exclaimed how wonderful they smelled, like a pizza shop! They came out so soft and bubbly crispy from the butter, Mmmm! This is a keeper. I served these up with the tortellini sausage soup.
Quick and Easy Breadsticks
•1 1/2 C warm water
•2 T sugar
•1 T yeast
•1/2 t salt
•3 1/4-3 1/2 C flour
•1/4 C butter
•3/4 C grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
•Johnny's Garlic Seasoning (I used McCormick Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder + garlic, onion powder + parsley)
1. Mix the water, sugar and yeast in the bottom of your mixer until the yeast is dissolved. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add the salt and the flour, one cup at a time, until it is well incorporated. Mix on high for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
3. Melt the butter and pour half of it into a jelly roll pan (large cookie sheet).
4. Place the dough in the center of the pan. Let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes. Letting the dough rest makes it MUCH easier to shape.
5. Spread the dough out flat onto the pan until it reaches all of the edges. Doing all of the spreading and cutting of these bread sticks, in the pan makes cleaning up your counter so much easier!
6. Pour the other half of the butter onto the dough. Spread it around with your hands. Sprinkle the Johnnys Garlic Seasoning all over the dough, and then the Parmesan cheese (maybe next time I'll add the Parm in the last few minutes, so it doesn't turn so dark and crunchy).
7. With a pizza cutter cut the dough into three rows lengthwise, and then into about 12 little heightwise rows. Did that even make sense? I hope so, wish I had a picture!
8. Put the pan into a 170 degree oven for about 7-10 minutes. The breadsticks should rise about 1 inch. (mine took 20 mins)9. Turn you oven up to 350 and bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown.