Friday, June 6, 2008

Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Double Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches



I had my mind set for cookies like these, so I set out to find a recipe. First I saw them at The Kitchen Sink and with more searching, I saw others at Recipe Girl. So I combined the two and added a little something more. These are a serious cookie, people! Be sure you have a big glass of milk on hand. I'm so glad that my Husband's race crew/friends come over, well, they're glad they come over because I send them home with half of what I make *wink wink.

3 cups old- fashioned oats
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
9 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Position racks in oven to divide the oven into thirds. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, cocoa, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add dry ingredients, mixing just until blended. Stir in chocolate. If you have time, chill dough for about 2 hours, or for up to 1 day (chilling the dough will give you more evenly shaped cookies.)
If the dough is not chilled, drop rounded Tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets. If the dough is chilled, scoop up rounded Tablespoons, roll the balls between your palms and place them 2 inches apart on the sheets. Press the chilled balls gently with the heel of your hand until they are about ½-inch thick.
Bake for 13-15 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after 7 minutes. The cookies should be golden and just firm around the edges. Lift the cookies onto cooling racks with a wide metal spatula- they'll firm as they cool.
Repeat with remaining dough, cooling the baking sheets between batches. When cooled, spread the peanut butter spread (see below) between 2 cookies to make a sandwich.

Yield: About 5 dozen individual cookies, about 2 -3 dozen sandwiches


Peanut Butter Spread for cookies

1 cup chunky peanut butter (do not use natural or old-fashioned)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided, room temperature
1 TBL cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 TBL cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter, butter and cream cheese in medium bowl to blend. Beat in powdered sugar, salt, and nutmeg, then milk and vanilla. Spread frosting between cooled cookies.

~ Dorie Greenspan for Bon Appétit

~ My side note
The cocoa powder, pecans and cream cheese were my additions to these recipes. I also just used creamy peanut butter. I used just a pinch of the spices, since I am not a huge spice fan.
I chilled my dough in the freezer for about 40 minutes and in between baking. Since I prefer a soft cookie, I baked them for only 10 minutes, which seemed perfect anyways. You could just start to smell all the flavors and the edges were just turning golden. I loved these from the fridge the next day, as a single cookie. Definitely a keeper!


Check out my article on this recipe at Just Baking also!


It was also caught in the Blogher list and here! Thank you!














sharing a batch with:
Photobucket

Print
Pin It!

15 Lovely Comments:

sher said...

You have a beautiful blog! The photos blow me away! And those cookies...sigh.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!! five dozen though! no wonder you have to send some elsewhere!! my husband would go to town on these, and me...i gained ten pounds just looking at your pictures! :)

Rachelle S said...

Oh goodness! Whoops, that'd be 5 dozen individual cookies, not 5 dozen sandwiched cookies. Thanks for pointing that out Natalie :)

Dragon said...

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. I'm not sure how I could eat 5 sandwich cookies. Guess I would have had to share. LOL

Can't wait to try them.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

This cookie sandwich has all the flavors that I love...what a winner!

cakewardrobe said...

Can you teleport your baked goodies!! If not, fed ex overnight is ok too :)

Anonymous said...

Man, these are going to get made real quick at my house!

Mamawj's Moment Away said...

i gotta try these and I have to agree with the other poster your pictures are great you would take good pics for food magaizines now i am craving chocolate lol
sewitupjulie at gmail dot com

Michele said...

Wow, those look incredible! I'm a dessert-a-holic. I"ll have to find a reason to make these babies!

Post a Comment