Thursday, October 2, 2008

Breadcrumbs



No special recipe today, but what I'm posting about sure could go with various recipes and it's easy too! Breadcrumbs, we've all bought them I'm sure, but it's really easy to make your own, any time you need some! I had saved up the ends of loaves of bread, stashed them in the freezer until I had a good amount of them. Take them out of the freezer and let defrost a little to get rid of any moisture. I even toasted mine in the oven for a little bit to help dry them out.
Tear the bread into small pieces and process in a food processor until you have fine breadcrumbs or the texture you'd like. Lay crumbs out on a tray and bake for a few more minutes to be sure they are toasty. Let them cool off , then store in a container in the freezer for later use.
You could season them as you desire with dried herbs and seasonings either during the processing time or as your recipe states.

laying out to dry up, going into the oven for a bit


I used various sorts of wheat bread






I now have more breadcrumbs than I know what to do with!


Print
Pin It!

2 Lovely Comments:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

But they'll last a loooong time! I've been doing this for years and it comes in so very handy. There are many way to use a bit along the way. This is a great tip and you'll come to depend on the crumbs from your table.

Maria said...

I prefer homemade bread crumbs. The ones in the store are expensive and have hydrogenated oils in them! Way to go to make them at home!

Post a Comment