Saturday, November 22, 2008

Baked French Toast



French toast is my favorite! Have you ever had over night baked french toast? It's not like your traditional fried french toast, it's more like a custard bread pudding-like french toast. The insides will be soft and delicious, especially with this cream cheese filling. I have posted other recipes before, but here is another version I came up with. Brown sugar, orange, pecan with cream cheese over night french toast. Mmm mmm mmm.
This would be perfect for Holiday guests staying over the weekend, just double the recipe so there will be enough to go around.

12 slices day old french bread loaf (sliced 1" thick)
5 eggs
2 1/2 Cups milk
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp. cinnamon

Filling:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbl brown sugar
Zest and juice from 1 orange
1/2 Cup chopped pecans

additional pecans and zest for garnish

In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon; set aside. In a mixer combine cream cheese, brown sugar, zest and juice, mix well until softened. Spread some of this between half of the french bread slices, top with a second slice to make a sandwich, sprinkle with some pecans. Arrange sandwiches in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Pour egg mixture over all in pan (the bread will absorb most of this by morning). Cover and refrigerate for 8 hrs or overnight. Remove each sandwich from pan and place on a lined baking sheet. Garnish with additional pecans and zest. Bake uncovered at 350' for 35-40 mins.

*You can also see this at the Well Fed Network.



ready to rest and soak overnight


Space saving tip: use your cooling racks to make an extra shelf in the fridge!


ready to bake




*grrr, my photos are cut off, so click them to see it all

Sharing a Good Morning with
Photobucket

Print
Pin It!

12 Lovely Comments:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

Click the photos?? I want to eat the photos!!! That looks so very delicious. And it gives me a couple of ideas for the coming holidays -- a bit of cranberry and orange flavor, maybe?

Maria said...

French toast is my favorite breakfast treat. I can't wait to try your version. Looks so good!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh my gosh! This is mean! It's Saturday morning and I want some but instead I'm having cereal. Not fair! :)

janelle said...

WOW. Those look SO Com-for-ting. Sigh. I wish I could have a bite!

nicole said...

Geeez that looks like the best breakfast ever. I'm gaining weight by just looking at the pictures.:) YUM!

DT said...

hi,

came across your blog and enjoyed it - especially the french toast. i also live in san diego and blog at the below address. take care.

dave


gocalifornia.blogspot.com

Dana Clover said...

WOW! now THAT looks good! Thanks for the recipe! my fat butt may not thank you, but my guests and taste buds sure will!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and for all the lovely photos. I am printing this out and will make it tonight for tomorrow's breakfast. Now I won't have to worry about making breakfast and all its mess tomorrow, YAY!
Happy Thanksgiving!
~ingrid

Rebekah said...

Omgosh! I agree, I want to eat this pictures. I love french toast and this looks heavenly!

Rebekah @ www.kidsdoeathealthy.blogspot.com

Post a Comment