Saturday, December 6, 2008

Easy Chocolate Truffles



I had some leftover ganache and decided to make truffles with it. I needed to get myself into the 'Holiday treats' mood and start sharing some favorites with you. These are super easy to do! By the way, this ganache is delish spread on a brownie!
These are now part of Susan's Christmas cookie blog event. Check out the submissions so far!


Ganache:
8 ounces (227 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract, cognac or brandy (optional)

Toppings:
Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
Confectioners Powdered Sugar

Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. If desired, add the flavoring.
Cover and place in the refrigerator until the truffle mixture is firm (this will take several hours or overnight).

Place your coatings for the truffles on a plate. Remove the truffle mixture from the refrigerator. With your hands, or else a melon baller or small spoon form the chocolate into round or mis-shaped bite-sized balls. Immediately roll the truffle in the coating and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or tray in little mini cupcake liners. Cover and place in the refrigerator until firm. Truffles can be refrigerated for a couple of weeks or else frozen for a couple of months. Bring to room temperature before serving.








Print
Pin It!

12 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous said...

Every year I say I am making truffles for christmas gifts and I never do it. Those look delicious!

Amanda said...

Ooooohhhh yum, those look so good! I haven't been around much to comment on everyone's yumminess :( Work has kept me so busy, but I am trying to get around today as you can see. The recipe for ganache looks wonderful! Oh, and hope to see you join the Cooking with Alicia & Annie blog event this month!

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

I do love your presentation -- the red draped says Holiday! so well. But the teeth marks are an exceptional touch. They make me feel envious that you get to taste test and we have to wait until trying the recipe ourelves. Well done!

Melanie said...

I have always been super intimidated by homemade truffles - but yours look so delicious, it is definitely tempting to try!

jennifer said...

Hey Girlie!
It's Jenn from M&T. I love your blog, and have started following it daily. (I think when I log on it says Dallas, Texas)
I am going to make your brownies with the ganache topping for Christmas treats. Do you know if this recipe freezes well?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I got my mother into a tradition of making easy truffles similar to these, except that we mix in some (smooth) peanut butter, and we roll them in other toppings as well - like smashed nuts, cinnamon, we've done vanilla wafers...

People get all awed when you bring them truffles, and they have no idea how easy it is!

Cheryl Wray said...

These look great!!! And i'm so checking out the cookie blog you mentioned. I'm going to a cookie exchange next week and want to try something new!

Rachelle S said...

Hi Jenn!

I'm sure you can freeze the brownies, just wrap each slice up well (saran wrap and foil/freezer bag) and let thaw to room temp before serving and icing with ganache. Mmm, enjoy! :)

Post a Comment