Sunday, January 25, 2009

Homemade Tomato Soup



Tomato soup is a favorite around here, and one of the soups Mr. loves, even though he hates tomatoes in every other form. So instead of buying canned soup, I thought I could make my own. I went to trusty allrecipes and decided on this one. As with lots of recipes from there, I changed it up with the suggestions of others, see my notes* on how I made it.

4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes*
1 sliced onion*
4 whole cloves*
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste*


In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food mill* into a large bowl, or pan. Discard any stuff left over in the food mill.
In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.

Notes: I doubled the recipe, used 3 large cans whole toms, sauteed chopped garlic in olive oil add the chopped onions (1 large) and saute until tender, used a pinch of ground cloves,. Pureed with a submersible blender (instead of a food mill) and then added the roux as described in the recipe. Added 2 tbl sugar and 1 cup milk.

The dinner rolls are these, with some garlic herb seasoning mixed in. Same with the croutons.


*these are the only 2 pictures I have left of this, they are the ones I submitted to the recipe, so they are small. My computer ate all the others. haha (I'm not laughing about it though)

Print
Pin It!

3 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tomato soup looks delicious. I love the croutons!

Dewi said...

Nothing beat homemade soup. YOur tomato soup looks so delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Post a Comment