Friday, April 24, 2009

April Cookie Carnival: Toasted Almond Lemon Bars

This month's Cookie Carnival cookie is Toasted Almond Lemon Bars and is being guest hosted by Holly of Phemomenon Yum! Perfect for the start of Spring. They're pretty much a shortbread crust, with a tart and tangy lemony custard like layer on top, then dusted with powdered sugar. I made lemon bars before for my blog, take a look here. These come from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy.
Just up! Go check out the round up and see everyone's lemon bars!

For this recipe I decided to add in the lemon zest too (next time I'll dice it fine, wasn't fun eating a string of zest, lol). They had those bags on sale 2/$3 so I had extra juice and zest, that I froze for a later use. For the crust you add in almonds, which adds a nice subtle nutty flavor and texture.

I've always wondered, Could you use other citrus instead of lemon? Like orange? I think I saw lime bars before -gasp- from a box. Have you had non-lemon bars? I'm curious to try another citrus for these.


Pin It!

6 Lovely Comments:

Cristine said...

Your lemon bars look so delicious! I really enjoyed this recipe! Your pictures make me want them again!

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm a lemon bar lover. I haven't tried it with almond in the crust, but it sounds great!

The Food Librarian said...

These look wonderful. I love lemon bars - the almonds sound like a perfect addition.

Mrs. M said...

Mmmmmmmm, lemon bars. I just had them at my baby shower, but now I want them all over again. It's okay I'm pregnant-I can eat like that.

I'm visiting via SITS (I'm new there too) but I will definitely be back~I'm following you now!

Ingrid said...

Sounds good with the almonds added.

And yes, I've seen lemon lime bars and grapefruit ones as well.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog. For giveaway entries, please follow the form rules.