Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Raspberry Blanc-Manger



Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy (please note she has moved her blog to Wordpress)selected Dorie's Raspberry Blanc-Manger for this week's TWD. Did you say it right? It's like "blah-mahn-jhay"! Fancy huh! If you've never had this dessert before, it's uh, hmm, a gelatin cream dessert that sort of reminds you of a firm tapioca pudding? They say it's much like panna cotta. Made with steamed almond milk and gelatin, with whipped cream folded in.



For mine, I chose to grind some slivered almonds, the best they'd get (they weren't super fine like almond meal). Once I was mixing the gelatin with the water, the smell really turned me off to this dessert. lol. When Dorie said to stir the almond milk over the ice bath, but not to let it gel....watch out!! More than likely it will. Well mine did. I fretted minute, wondering if all was ruined. Then I quickly heated it back up over a double boiler, and it melted back down. I then put it over the ice bath again, but not so long that it would get too cold again. It worked! Then I folded everything together and popped it in the fridge for a few hours to firm up. For everything, I only used 11 oz of fresh raspberries.

I served mine with a little Raspberry Coulis (blended raspberries, then strained) and fresh berries. The first piece I had was really good. It's a dense texture (mine was anyways, maybe I messed it up?) which looked like cottage cheese (the almonds in it). After Day 1, it started seeming like it was dry. So, if you make it, have people over so it's gone the same day it's made!

You can find the recipe at Susan's blog.

*UPDATE: ok so since it's now Tuesday, and everyone's TWD posts are hitting my google reader, I went to see theirs compared to mine. Boo hoo hoo, I think mine came out wrong. Mine was not creamy like other's I've seen. Maybe I did mess it up when the milk cooled too much.
enjoy,

*Don't forget! Please vote for my Angel Food Cake
for Best Summer Dessert!

Print
Pin It!

10 Lovely Comments:

Pamela said...

Well, it looks really pretty and as long as it tasted good and you enjoyed it, that's really all that matters. Nice job!

Hindy said...

At least your gelled. Mine fell to goo.
Your photos are lovely!

Fearless Kitchen said...

I'm more familiar with blancmanger from medieval recipe collections, where it distinctly doesn't seem sweet. Yours looks great to me, and I'd gladly take a serving of it!

daphne said...

this looks gorgeous! I love the colours..Think the coulis is an excellent choice.

margot said...

It looks fantastic! I had gelatin issues too, but mine ended up really soft, weird.

Maricel said...

I'm loving your blog and I'm now hungry. Seeing that you got a lot of recipes up here, I'll surely be here most of the time looking for something to cook up! :)

By the way, I came from Mommy Blogger Directory. Doing some blog hoppin'. I'm also looking for some link or button exchanges as well, care for one?

Maricel --- Momhood Moments

Engineer Baker said...

Huh - my gelatin began to gel before mixing it with the whipped cream and I didn't have that problem. Maybe it was the milk? It looks pretty darned tasty though!

Susan @ SGCC said...

No boo-hooing! Your Blanc-Manger looks just perfect! It's always tricky working with gelatin. Well done!

Post a Comment