Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie: Rick Katz’s Brownies for Julia



Yummy. Chocolate. Gooey. Brownies.

Tanya of Chocolatechic chose Rick Katz’s Brownies for Julia for TWD this week. First of all let me just say, go to her blog and get the recipe! These are BROWNIES! Yes, I think they may have replaced my favorite ones.

But let me tell you my baking story of these...I haven't baked much since Nov. so maybe I've lost my baking mojo. First of all I did a cocoa powder/shortening substitute because I didn't want to spend all that $$ on an unsweetened bar of 4 oz chocolate. I did get some 62% chocolate chunks for the bittersweet chocolate.



I totally read the directions wrong, melting the butter w/the unsweetened choco (I subbed). When I got to the part about doing the eggs, I mixed them all into the chocolate! I was suppose to do half, then whip the other half to fold into the chocolate/egg mixture! OOPS! I was fed up, I almost threw it out, but I had used all the last of my other ingredients!

So I just whipped it all together to get some fluff to it. THEN I realized I hadn't used that 2 oz of bittersweet chocolate yet! HUH? It was supposed to go in with the butter also! SO I quickly melted it and just added it into the batter.



Poured it into my 8x8 pan (who has a 9x9??) lined w/parchment (TIP: makes removal/cutting them easier!) and baked for 25 minutes. They were still wet and not done at all! Well about 20 extra minutes later, I called them done and set them out to cool. Then into the fridge they went for an hour or so, so they'd be even easier to cut and set up.

They came out GREAT!!! The centers are all gooey, and the tops were flaky! I didn't bother cutting them into the 18 - 1 1/2 x 3" pieces Dorie suggested, they're too gooey, there's no way!

I don't know if my foul ups even mattered because they tasted great! Next time I'll make them in a 9x13 so they are thinner and I can cut more pieces, and check the bake time on those.




enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

17 Lovely Comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

OMGoodness, these look disgustingly delicious!!!! I would have serious trouble staying away from these beauties.

NikiTheo said...

Sometimes even when we get super frustrated and think we're messing it all up, it still works out! Which I think is the best way to get out of a funk, esepcially b/c you now know that even when you don't follow directions, you're such a good baker that it still works out! I hope this helped you and you don't feel like you're in a baking funk anymore

Unknown said...

I'm with you on these - they are my new favorite brownie recipe and I don't even typically enjoy fudgy brownies :) Your brownies look awesome!!

chocolatechic said...

Several people were confused on how to mix the egg/sugar part, but it looks like it really doesn't matter.

Yours look fabulous

Cindy said...

This is one great recipe. I baked mine in muffin tins because I like 'edges'. Another 5 star TWD.

teresa said...

hi! you've got some delicious things going on over here! those brownies are fantastic!!

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

Don't you just love those mistakes that turn out gooey good? Can you imagine a scoop of that next to a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream? Oh, boy that's tempting.

Flourchild said...

Your brownies look so good. I messed up on the directions..but my brownies came out tasting very good!

Susan said...

Rachelle,
Your brownies look fabulous! Love the fudgey center. Weren't these the best!?!?!

Susan said...

I started out reading the recipe for these brownies then realized I had switched mid-stream to the recipe on the opposite page! Luckily no harm done. Your photos are fabulous and the brownies look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I loove that flaky crust...that's true brownie perfection! these might become a new favourite judging by the photos alone!

Natalie said...

You can tell those are amazing brownies! I love the smooth yet cracked tops!

Amanda said...

So glad they wee still delish even with all the issues! They look awesome!

Post a Comment