Thursday, March 11, 2010

Review: POM Wonderful Juice, POM Gelato





I was offered to review POM Wonderful juice for you guys again! I recieved a box of mini (8oz) POM juices, they come in such cute bottles. My kids can't resist their cuteness, they even drink them straight (not me, it's little "dry/bitter", I like to mix mine with OJ or 7 Up).

I've done a few POM reviews before but let's hear it again:

POM Wonderful Facts
POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is the super juice that contains more antioxidants than red wine, grape juice, acai juice and even green tea!
-It contains all-natural ingredients with no added sugar or artificial additives and is the only brand guaranteed to contain 100% authentic pomegranate juice.
-POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is packed with polyphenol antioxidants to help neutralise free radicals, which can damage your DNA and cells leading to pre-mature aging and disease.

Find POM near you! Click for store locator.

I almost wasn't able to do this review because they snuck off everyday with all but 3 bottles! I searched their site for recipes, and decided to try their POM Gelato. Since I only had 3 bottles, I adjusted the recipe, so there'd be enough for all of us.

First let me tell you, #2 reason this almost did not happen. I decided to make mascarpone in this recipe (the Daring Bakers made it for their Tiramisu recipe recently). That was a total flop for me! I used a glass bowl on my double boiler and it never reached temp even after an hour of stirring it! ACK! I ended up tossing it out, since it became dry and crumbly after straining.

#3 reason I about tossed the idea all together...I froze the POM juice straight. So I had to heat it up and reduce it down with the water. Then I refroze it again! lol

Mind you each reason was another day waiting to get this done. I finally bought Greek style yogurt to make this, and it came together nicely, BUT, #4 it did not freeze in 30 minutes like they say. Mine took overnight and it was still very soft almost a soft serve slushy. It was great though, perfect sweetnedd to even out the bitterness of the POM juice.


POM Gelato
(note: simmer/freezer time needed, make ahead of time)

2 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar, or more, to taste
1/2 cup mascarpone, creme fraiche or yogurt (I used Greek Style Yogurt)

In a saucepan, reduce 2 cups pomegranate juice and 1 cup of water down to 1 cup over low heat.
Freeze the reduced pomegranate juice in an ice-cube tray. (Individual cubes will freeze faster.)

Put the frozen pomegranate cubes in a food processor with 1/4 cup sugar and grind briefly.
Add the mascarpone and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
Transfer the mixture into a small container and freeze again, 20 to 30 minutes, before serving. You can pulse the gelato briefly in the food processor if it freezes too much.


I wrote this review for "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" about POM Wonderful. I received free product to keep for this review. All opinions for this review are that of myself & family.

enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

0 Lovely Comments:

Post a Comment