Saturday, March 27, 2010

Roasted Shrimp and Cocktail Sauce



Surf and Turf. I always do a shrimp scampi for Mr.'s Birthday but not this year. I made this for Mr.'s Birthday along with some grilled tri tip steaks (thanks to the Meat Dept. guy for offering to cut it for me! It was good!). Thinking only he and I would eat this roasted shrimp I got 1 1/2 lbs. Lo and behold our 6 yr old daughter ate about as much as I did!

Anyways some time ago, I saw Ina make this and thought how wonderful roasting is to whatever foods you're preparing, roasted shrimp must be great! Then funny enough my pal Faye had made it before I got the chance and they loved it!

This is the simplest recipe, and it would be perfect for a party, holiday appetizer or just because. I even made the homemade cocktail sauce. I did a taste test with some store bought sauce Mr. had bought some time ago, and guess which one won? This one! This were great and Mr. loved it.

Roasted Shrimp Cocktail
Ina Garten

For the shrimp:
2 pounds (12 to 15-count) shrimp (big ones!)
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the sauce:
1/2 cup chili sauce (recommended: Heinz) or this one I just found
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (I used about 1 3/4 Tbl)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco) I used Cholula

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on (for handles). Place them on a sheet pan with the olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread them in 1 layer. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, just until pink and firm and cooked through. Set aside to cool.

For the sauce, combine the chili sauce, ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Serve as a dip with the shrimp.
See more at "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" http://ldylvbgr.blogspot.com/
Store bought and homemade! Guess who won?


enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

1 Lovely Comments:

CDC said...

i'll have to try to make homemade cocktail sauce - didn't realize what was even in it!

Post a Comment