Sunday, May 16, 2010

Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce



These burgers have been the talk of Facebook lately and from all the rave reviews of them, I decided to give them a try. Knowing spinach is not well received by the rest of my family (unless I can hide it) I just went with it. I made the patties ahead of time for flavors to combine, and froze them so they'd hold together better on the grill.



Oldest didn't care for them knowing it was spinach. Mr. ate 2 of them, so they must not of hurt him too much. I thought they were ok. I wasn't as WOWED by them as others say they were. Maybe next time I would double the Feta in them, I couldn't taste much of it once cooked. I made a Tzatziki to go with, which we all liked. Except I put all my ingredients in the processor and it made it too runny! I just spread it on the bun and a little on the patty and it was fine. I rewrote it below how I should've done it.

Anyways, you may enjoy these as much as others have!



Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers
slightly adapted from allrecipes

2 eggs, beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces feta cheese (I used Feta Crumbles Garlic & Herb flavor -maybe double amount?)
1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 pounds ground turkey (I used 1/2 turkey breast & 1/2 regular)

Mix together eggs, garlic, feta cheese, spinach, and turkey in a large bowl until well combined; form into 8 patties (May chill/freeze patties to help keep them together for grilling).
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate.
Cook on preheated grill until no longer pink in the center, 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, onion and Tzatziki sauce (below).


Tzatziki Sauce
adapted from Alton Brown

16 ounces Greek plain yogurt
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
Pinch kosher salt
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
5 to 6 fresh mint leaves

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a food processor combine cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint then pulse until finely chopped. Stir mixture into the Greek yogurt. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups



enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

0 Lovely Comments:

Post a Comment