Friday, December 17, 2010

Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook: Cookbook Review


In Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook, Leslie Cerier, "The Organic Gourmet," presents over 100 remarkably delicious recipes for easy-to-make, gluten-free, vegetarian meals. You'll learn to create delectable, high-protein breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more, use organic and seasonal ingredients to put a fresh twist on your favorite family recipes, and come up with your own original gluten-free creations.
For my review, I choose to make two recipes from Leslie's book. I had to go to a health food store (like Whole Foods) to get these ingredients since the regular grocery stores around here didn't have the Miso or Tempeh I needed and thankfully they had everything on my list. Well except the 100% Soba noodles, they had some buckwheat soba and from reading about the GF grains, it's OK, is that right?
 Soba with Tempeh and Broccoli in Coconut Sauce: Knowing that no one else in this home would eat this, I made it for my lunch this day. I love noodle dishes and was excited to try new ingredients. Tempeh and Miso being two of them. The recipe was really easy to make, you just basically heat everything up and toss together. Well, I have to say this dish was pretty bland tasting, I was hoping the Miso would add some flavor. Perhaps the coconut milk took the flavors away, but it wasn't coco-nutty flavor though. The tempeh I found to be a strange texture, I think fried up tofu would be great for this instead.


Basmati and Wild Rice Pilaf: I liked this recipe a lot, I love rice pilafs and wild rice. I made it earlier in the day and just reheated it while cooking a pork roast to go with it. This was a fantastic side dish, and I have to tell you, when my 7 yr old finally took a bite of it, she exclaimed, "MMMM! This is good!" This recipe also makes LOTS, so you may want to half the recipe.
This book is full of GF recipes, it starts out talking about Gluten Free grains, and has a wide range of recipes for Breakfasts,Main Courses, Sushi, Side dishes,Sauce and Toppings and of course Desserts!
This book is available at Amazon and is also ready to read in a kindle version.

I wrote this review for "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" about Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook. I received free product to keep for this review from Leslie herself. All opinions for this review are that of myself & family. Product info & stock images provided by PR or Co.

*Please follow my recipe blog at it's new URL http://mommyimhungry.blogspot.com/

Print
Pin It!

0 Lovely Comments:

Post a Comment