Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pillsbury® New Ready-To-Bake Gluten Free Doughs: Review, Fudgy Chocolate Cream Pie



I’m excited to let you know that Pillsbury has launched its first-ever line of ready-to-bake gluten free pizza dough, cookie dough and pie & pastry dough, ensuring that gluten free homes everywhere can also enjoy these classic items.

The new line of gluten free dough comes in convenient, refrigerated containers and will be available at most major grocery retailers for about $4.99 each.

For more information on Pillsbury Gluten Free Dough including recipe inspiration, please visit www.pillsbury.com/glutenfree.

I had recently heard of these through Instagram so I was happy to receive an offer to try these gluten free products out. I am happy to say that I had no tummy troubles after trying each product so I can safely say that these should be ok for your GF tummy as well if you decide to try them out.

Please follow along with Pillsbury on Facebook and Twitter. Product locator here.


Pillsbury Ready-To-Bake Gluten Free Cookie Dough
Pillsbury Ready-To-Bake Gluten Free (chocolate chip) Cookie Dough

Straight from my door to my oven! I baked these at 350 for about 11-12 minutes. They came out so soft and delicious. This container gave me 16 small cookies as it says (I use the same scooper for all of my cookies). My oldest says she couldn't tell these apart from a glutened cookie. :)


Pillsbury Ready-To-Bake Gluten Free {thin crust} Pizza Dough
This come with enough dough for one 11" pizza. Directions say to oil your hands to help handling it, but honestly water is fine, you just want your hands wet if it feels too sticky. I used my silpin rolling pin and it didn't stick. I rolled it super thin to fit my baking sheet. You pre-bake it for about 15 minutes, then add your toppings and bake for another 12 minutes. 

Once my Margherita pizza was done I added fresh basil and cut a piece. Well, the middle of the crust seemed under baked, I wasn't pleased with that. The edges were nice and crispy like a cracker though. The flavor of the crust wasn't so great either, it was pretty plain. Sorry I just wasn't a fan of this store bought pizza dough. I'll stick to my other gluten free brand thanks.



Pillsbury Ready-To-Bake Gluten Free Pastry Dough

This comes with enough dough for two crusts. Simply divide it into two and knead it so it comes together. I rolled out enough for one crust between two layers of plastic wrap. Gluten free crusts are pretty delicate so while adding to my tart pan, I had to piece it back together but I got it. 

 I prebaked this crust using foil and rice (directions below). I baked it an extra few minutes to be sure it was baked through and as you can see (aside from my oven not browning evenly) that the crust did shrink. 

The chocolate cream pudding filled my tart pan perfectly and so I let it chill all afternoon before giving in. The crust was flaky but kind of chewy in a strange way. The pie was delicious though, great chocolate pudding pie. Next day, the crust was better, not chewy like it was before.


Fudgy Chocolate Cream Pie
adapted from Allrecipes

1 (9 inch) gluten free pie crust, pre-baked
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons gluten free flour blend
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk, slightly warmed
2 tablespoons coffee, cooled
4 egg yolks
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt and whisk to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk milk and egg yolks until smooth. Gradually stir into sugar mixture.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil (about 10 minutes since the milk was already warm). Boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate, butter, and vanilla. Stir until melted.

Pour into pie shell. Place plastic wrap over filling to prevent skin from forming and chill for several hours.

Top with whipped cream and cocoa before serving.

*Disclosure* I wrote this review and or giveaway for "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" about Pillsbury. The product(s) in this review were provided to me free of cost for the purpose of conducting my review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own. Product info and stock images if any are provided by PR or Co.

Print
Pin It!

1 Lovely Comments:

Post a Comment