Friday, February 28, 2014

201 Gluten-Free Recipes for Kids Cookbook Review


201 Gluten-Free Recipes for Kids by Carrie S. Forbes Flavorful, gluten-free meals that will leave kids begging for more!

From breakfast staples like Honey and Cinnamon Oatmeal to tasty treats like Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies, this book transforms kids' favorite foods into nutritious dishes they can eat. Best of all, the entire family will enjoy digging into these gluten-free meals with delicious recipes, like:

• Streusel-Topped Blueberry Muffins
• Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
• Zesty Mexican Pizza
• Apple Berry Fruit Leather
• Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Complete with simple instructions, cooking substitutions, and beautiful 4 color photographs, 201 Gluten-Free Recipes for Kids will show parents that they don't need to eliminate their child's favorite foods or spend all day reading labels in order to raise a happy and gluten-free kid.

This book is full of recipes of all kinds as well as helpful information on when you first become gluten free.

Carrie S. Forbes is a gluten-free recipe developer, food writer, and cooking instructor. She is the creator of Gingerlemongirl.com, where she shares original gluten-free recipes that focus on cooking and baking with healthy, frugal, and natural ingredients. Her recipes have appeared in Simply Gluten-Free Magazine, Gluten-Free Living magazine, and Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine. Forbes teaches gluten-free cooking and baking classes, and she is the founder and leader of her local gluten-free support group.


I was able to review this cookbook and I decided to make us the Sweet and Sour Chicken over Rice Noodles. You know me and my noodles! I was a little scared as to how the recipe would taste with the pineapple and coconut milk in it but surprisingly it was really good and my family loved it!! I wouldn't mind some right now. The chicken is cooked in the pineapple juice making it so super tender.




I also made these Pumpkin Spice Muffins. These are gluten free, egg free and could be dairy free. I added my own pecan chocolate chip crumb topping to these for a little added something. 



but nowhere in the recipe does it say when to add the milk!?? I added it in with the wet ingredients.

a delicious after school treat for my kiddos

Finally, I made the Chocolate Pudding.

I made this late at night after work because I wanted it to be set for the next day (photos). Don;t worry it's an easy recipe and takes just minutes. It's a stove top recipe so no need to wake the family with a mixer. The only thing I have to say about this recipe is yet again, the directions are misleading. It tells me to add hot water to the hot cocoa and sugar, but in the ingredients list it only lists 1/4 cup water, divided. It does not tell me I need to use half hot water and half cold water. It could have read 2 tbl hot water, 2 tbl cold water. Anyways, this came out great and if you happen to have a dark cocoa powder, I'd use that. Mine was the regular Hershey's cocoa and I felt it needed more flavor of a dark chocolate and maybe a little more vanilla. And double this, this would never feed my family of five like it says lol. 

delish!!


*Disclosure* I wrote this review and or giveaway for "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" about 201 Gluten-Free Recipes for Kids. The product(s) in this review were provided to me free of cost for the purpose of conducting my review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own. Product info and stock images if any are provided by PR or Co.


Print
Pin It!

0 Lovely Comments:

Post a Comment