Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Orange Chicken



We love Orange Chicken. I saw this here and had to make it! It came out perfect, with tons of flavor. I served it over Jasmine rice. I held the cooked chicken in a warm oven on a cooling rack/baking sheet combo, while cooking the rest. Again, plan ahead to allow for cooking time. Definitely a keeper!
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-1/2” cubes)
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 eggs (beaten)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Oil (for frying)
Orange Sauce-
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ginger root (minced)
½ teaspoon garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons green onion (chopped)
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture and shake in flour mixture to coat. Deep fry chicken in batches at 375 degrees in a deep fryer (or use a wok) until completely cooked.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine 1 ½ cups water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Blend well over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in brown sugar, orange zest, ginger garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil.
Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens. Pour sauce over breaded chicken, and if desired add red pepper flakes and garnish with green onions.





I'm bringing this to:
Photobucket

enjoy

Print
Pin It!

6 Lovely Comments:

Melanie said...

Oh, wow, I am making this FOR sure! My husband will die, he will be so happy. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed Rachelle. Stunning photos... it looks like it turned out great! Glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

I was not known with Orange Chicken but now I am becoming crazy to taste it.Its looking gorgeous.

SteamyKitchen said...

scott loves orange chicken. it's just about the only chinese food he likes!

Sonya said...

Thanks for the link, this recipe is too délicious, my family want a remake this week lloll

..And bravo for your blog...I like to make some visit to your home..:o))

A++

Rebekah said...

My husband I will love this! We are crazy about chinese and this is homemade, even better.

Post a Comment