Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gingerbread



Thanks to the readers of Allrecipes for voting this photo as a Favorite!



I love me some gingerbread! I used to (close your eyes!) make it from the box, but haven't had it in years. I finally decided to look for a homemade recipe for this Holiday season.

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.

In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.

-Allrecipes

~My review: I baked this in an 8x8 clear glass baking dish, at 350' F for 30 minutes, lowered the temp to 325' F and let it bake 30 more minutes (until it wouldn't jiggle) and covered it with parchment so it wouldn't get dark too fast (but that sort of stuck to it, so...). This came out perfect! Flavor, texture and moisture wise, it's just right! I topped this with fresh whipped cream. This will be my go to recipe for now on.



I'm so excited to have a Holly bush out front!














Print
Pin It!

16 Lovely Comments:

Cheryl Wray said...

I also LOVE gingerbread. And there's nothing better than homemade whipped cream! Yummmmm...
(I also like gingerbread covered with a warm lemon sauce.)

jennifer said...

Do you think this could be adapted for someone with diabetes? Maybe using splenda...

Anonymous said...

Gingerbread is one of my favorite treats to enjoy during this time of year. Your photos are mouthwatering!

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

Your photos make the recipes sooo tempting! But right now I'm just loving the snow across the screen. It missed us this last front, but my sister in Houston got a flake or two (and we're not speaking of relatives!) Best time for staying in and cooking.

RecipeGirl said...

A holly bush out front? What a dream for taking holiday food photos!

This looks really great! Nice photo :)

janelle said...

Yum, looks perfect with a cup of hot coffee and a moment of quiet:).

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love gingerbread. I like to top it with cream cheese frosting. So delicious.

Screaming Meme said...

You are amazing...Yum...Hi my name is Meme from Screaming Meme it is so nice to meet you....Meme

Post a Comment