Saturday, March 7, 2009

Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins



This is the continuation of my Breakfast with the Bloggers. I saw these Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins at The Daily Blonde's blog and since I had everything on hand I had to make them! I love good personal reviews (and good photos of the food), entices me to want to make them even more. As I hope my blog does the same for you! :) These were great! I had thought of using lemon zest instead, but remember I had some orange zest in the freezer so I stuck with what was written. I used frozen blueberries, and they gave me very blue-berry muffins!

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest of one orange
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Position rack in center of oven. Spray regular size muffin pans with a non stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract. In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Gently fold in the berries.
With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.

Fill each muffin cup almost full of batter, using an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Makes 14 regular size muffins.


(TIP: a regular size ice cream scoop is the perfect size for muffins!)







Fresh Lime & Lemons
(TIP: freeze citrus zest in their juice for later use! Place in baggies when frozen.)





*See these also at Just Baking!

enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

11 Lovely Comments:

Jodi said...

These look great! Thanks for the tip with the zest too. Very handy!

Leslie M. said...

Your photos are always beautiful. I am sooo new with my digital camera. It is foreign to me!
I ALWAYS put lemon and lemon zest in my blueberry muffins and I never thought to use orange. GREAT idea! I WILL do that next time. Your pictures have me HUNGERING for muffins now!
Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love the amount of blueberries in these muffins - they are almost purple with them! And thanks for the tip on freezing citrus zest. I never would have thought of that.

Anonymous said...

WOW !!! These look wonderful ! I just came across this as I was making my coffee and it made my mouth water. I am bookmarking your site. Thanks for sharing !!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love that your muffins are so full of blueberries. They look great. Thanks for the tip on saving zest.

Krista Dearden said...

What a coincidence, I made blueberry muffins the other day but I didn't add any zest. That would really add another layer of flavor, thanks for the tip! I love freezing as a way of preserving but I never thought to freeze zest. Great tip!

Carrot Jello said...

I am showing you how much I care by leaving a comment.
What do I think about this entry?
I love blueberry muffins, so I think it's great.
Do I have any ideas?
No.
I don't even have any blueberries.
Do I have a question?
No.
I just wanted to comment.

Me said...

Okay, just when I think you can't get any better 'Chelle you top yourself again! These look divine and I am so hungry just looking at the screen. WHY CAN'T WE LIVE CLOSER!!! I could be your taste tester and give you feedback! Love you & miss you old pal!

Anonymous said...

I just made these and they're definitely yummy. I didn't have any fruit zest and I'm happy with how they taste. I used frozen bluebrries, too. I very easily mess up recipes or leave things out, but this was really easy to make and the baked really nicely. Thanks!

Post a Comment