Sunday, May 24, 2009

Revamped: Sausage Gravy



I decided to change my original blog post for this recipe. It's been years since I've bought Bisquick, so here is my homemade version for sausage gravy.

1 pound breakfast pork sausage
2 TBL sausage grease drippings
1 Cup flour
3-5 Cups warmed milk
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp rubbed sage
Biscuits (Dorie's recipe here)

Brown sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Drain, reserving 2 TBL of drippings. Place sausage aside. Add reserved drippings to skillet and whisk in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; add in seasonings (or add to your liking). Return to heat, until thick (may need to add a little more milk if it becomes too thick). Stir in sausage. Serve with hot buttermilk biscuits.

This is part of Tina's:
Mommy’s Kitchen

enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

3 Lovely Comments:

HODGEPODGESPV said...

when i a preteen, we had a neighbor who used to make fried chicken all the time. she would save the "drippens" for me. i got really good at making milk gravy. i wash't so good at with buscuits so i would just put it over toast. the saddest to me is cream gravy you are served on biscuits for the last ? years is tasteless wet flour.

Scatteredmom said...

Hmm...looks good! As a Canadian, I've never gotten used to the idea of biscuits and gravy (especially for breakfast!) but maybe one day I'll have to take the plunge. :)

Shelby said...

My kids love sausage gravy and biscuits....however they only got it when at their Grandpas' camp....Your version looks really yummy though (hence my comment on a 2009 post!) and I think when the kids are around again I will make it for them!

Post a Comment