Monday, January 18, 2010

Potato Salad



This is adapted from my mom's recipe and every time I make it I do it a little differently, this time I added in garlic, olives and sour cream. I also just eyeball everything but I'll guesstimate how much I used in this batch for you. Also, this makes a ton, perfect for get togethers or potlucks! Feel free to half this recipe. We love potato salad so it's great to have around all week.

5 lbs russet potatoes, boiled whole, slightly cooled (peeled or unpeeled*)
1 dozen eggs, hard boiled, cooled (How-to)
1 C celery, small dice
1 C dill pickles, small dice
1 small can sliced olives
1 onion, finely diced (I grated mine)
crushed garlic to taste
salt & pepper to taste
1 C mayo
1/4 C sour cream
1 TBL mustard
1/4 C milk (or to desired consistency)
paprika for garnish

-Cut warm potatoes into bite size pieces (fyi-doing so when potatoes are warm, helps them soak up the flavors of the salad better) place in a large bowl. Add in the diced celery, pickles, olives and onion. Carefully toss together.
-Separate the hard boiled egg white from the yolks. Dice up the whites and add to potato mixture (I use a potato masher for the whites).
-Mash up the yolks in a small separate bowl. Add mayo, sour cream, mustard, milk, garlic, salt and pepper to the yolks. Stir well. Adjust any liquids or seasonings if needed.
Pour over potato mixture and carefully fold into to combine. Sprinkle with paprika is desired. Refrigerate 6-8 hours for flavors to combine.


Psst! Watch this neat trick* on how to peel a boiled potato from Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island! I tried it for this recipe, and it sort of worked for me. I forgot the ice bath! I did have to peel pieces off and some potatoes broke righ tin half while trying to peel it, but it was pretty easy!

Then I found this on how to peel a hard boiled egg! I hate peeling eggs for deviled eggs and they get all torn apart! I may have to try this.




I'm bringing this to share at Tina's
Photobucket


enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

0 Lovely Comments:

Post a Comment