Saturday, July 17, 2010

Chinese Chicken Salad with Mom's Egg Rolls



I bet you all are just starving, huh? I haven't posted a recipe in ages it seems. Well I'm trying to get back into the swing of home cooking since we are moved now, and ate too much fast food in the last couple weeks (we did find a great pizza place nearby though!).

So here is a great salad I tossed up last night. It's more about what ingredients you like so I didn't add quantities here (plus I made a ton, since we had 2 dinner guests). Prep time takes up most of this meal, since it's cooking chicken, slicing veggies and frying up won ton strips. Tossed all together and drizzled with some of the toasted sesame dressing makes this a great family style salad. I then took more time to make my mom's homemade egg rolls. I was in the kitchen 2 hours making all this, until we were eating, and that is why I will not have a cafe. Dinner would always come late. lol. So plan ahead slice and cook what you can ahead of time, I got a late start in the day so I was pressed for time. Everyone loved it and I have lots of leftovers!

Chinese Chicken Salad ingredients
Chicken breast, roasted and shredded
Romaine lettuce, finely shredded (TIP: use your serrated knife!)
Sugar Snap peas
Carrots, shredded
Baby corn (found in a can in the Asian aisle of the grocery store)
Green onions, sliced
Mandarin orange slices, drained
Fresh garlic, crushed
Fresh grated ginger
Fried Won Ton wrapper strips

I did season the chicken with garlic powder, salt & pepper and roasted in a 425' oven for 20 minutes. Shredded when cooled. Then I tossed it with a little of the dressing along with some fresh garlic and ginger.
For the egg rolls, I did add some fresh garlic and ginger to the mix as well and served them with a sweet and sour sauce or soy sauce.
as you can see, my (new) kitchen is not together yet, but here's a sneak peek of it so far! I love the long prep counter in front of the window!

enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

1 Lovely Comments:

Shelby said...

This looks really awesome Rachelle! I'm going to try your salad. Off to check out the egg rolls now!

Post a Comment