Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mom's Egg Rolls

updated 1/31/15



Mom's Egg Rolls

1-2 packages won ton wrappers/ clear spring roll wrappers if gluten free
1 Lb. ground beef
2 Cups shredded cabbage
2 Cups shredded carrots
4 stalks of celery, shredded
1 onion shredded
1/4 Cup soy sauce/tamari if gluten free
salt
pepper
garlic
(you may also add in: chopped water chestnuts, a splash of sesame oil, grated fresh ginger, splash of shaoxing wine, garlic)

Brown meat lightly, season with salt, pepper and garlic. Stir in vegetables and soy sauce. Add spoonful size amount of mixture (may have to squeeze of any excess liquid so they aren't soggy) to won ton, and brush edges with egg, roll up to seal edges. Fry in oil.

~my side note:
The original recipe didn't have measurements for the vegetables, but it's about 2 C. of cabbage and carrots. I used my food processor to grate all the veggies. I use the large size won tons (21 wraps), but you could use the small size too. There will be lots of filling, so maybe get 2 packages, or cut down the amounts.

TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE:
Use the clear spring roll wrappers, soak in hot water until pliable, add a small amount of drained mixture, roll up and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, spray tops with nonstick spray. Bake 400' for 30 minutes.




making a big one!








gluten free egg rolls in spring roll wrappers (below), ready to bake



ready to fry

regular egg roll wrappers

my gluten free egg rolls with pineapple rice

Print
Pin It!

8 Lovely Comments:

Deborah said...

I was actually just thinking about eggrolls last night and having a serious craving for them. These sound delicious!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! I adore egg rolls (or spring rolls as we call them), but I have to say I agree with JP that I love mine with the freshness of ginger to help counteract the heaviness of the frying ;)

Anonymous said...

I think mom can make the best dish or food not only egg roll.

Vicarious Foodie said...

These look delicious! I've only made egg rolls once before, but they were baked (rolled in phyllo dough) and didn't have that nice thick coating that yours have. I'm going to have to pick up some won ton wrappers and try this.

Me said...

Your site is the reason I get out of bed in the morning. YOu have taken the dread out of cooking for me. Kudos Rachelle~ you rock!

Post a Comment