Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lavender Madeleines



I can't help it, but this song always comes to mind when I say Madeleine. So after my lucky win of my own homemade Madeleines, I needed to get me a pan of my own, guess you could say it was love at first bite plus they're so cute! I almost bought one online one night, but I decided to wait. Lo and behold the very next day, I found one for super cheap at a local 2nd hand shop, piled under a stack of mix match pans! I was so excited! I just love that shop, infact many of my plates and dishes you see on my blog, came from there (like the 3 for this shoot). I told my Husband that I need a hutch just for all my great finds. Anyways, we all loved these, my 14 month old especially just can't get enough of them!

5 Tb. Butter
1 Tb. edible lavender
¾ cup flour
½ tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar
Grated zest of half a lemon
2 large eggs
2 Tb. honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt the butter with the lavender and let sit for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain but keep half of the lavender in with butter, or discard the whole amount.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
Mix together in another bowl, the sugar and lemon zest with your fingers.
Working with a stand mixer, beat the eggs, sugar and lemon zest until pale and thick, about 3 minutes. Add the honey and vanilla and beat for one minute more.
Switch to a rubber spatula and gently incorporate the dry ingredients. Fold in the butter.
Refrigerate the batter at least 2 hours or up to 3 days. (the longer chill helps form the hump that is characteristic of the madeleines).
Preheat oven at 400'. Butter and flour your madeleines molds and divide the batter evenly. Bake 12-14 minutes* until they are golden brown. Remove from pan gently prying them if needed. Dust with powdered sugar.
Best eaten the same day. Store in a sealed container.

~Dorie Greenspan "Baking: From My Home To Yours"

See this article at Just Baking too!

*my little note:
I chilled my batter overnight and baked them at 350' for about 7-8 minutes. They do not take very long. I want to say the long chill and baking powder helped with their hump. I just wish my pan had a more scalloped look.

-I also made some dark chocolate madeleines, but they did not get their hump like these (I chilled half of the recipe and baked the other half right away), nor did it have baking powder in the recipe. They also tasted like regular chocolate cake like cookies, and I found nothing special about them.













Print
Pin It!

2 Lovely Comments:

Zip n Tizzy said...

Mmm... delicious!
Your food photography is great! Not an easy task food is usually so unforgiving.

Post a Comment