Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Rainbow Birthday Cake

From Mommy I'm Hungry


click photos for full view

Earlier this month we celebrated a Birthday in our family. Brooke from Conversations With A Cupcake blogged about her colorful fruity cake, and I knew I had to make one for my little girl who's now 6! How fun is this cake?

This was a HUGE hit! She didn't know about it being rainbow until I cut into it! I shared a preview of this on Facebook, and everyone loved it. It was the tallest cake I have ever made! So tall I had to remove shelves in my fridge! Even though the layers aren't a full layer size, the cake still equals out to being 4 regular layers tall, each cut in half, get it?
Each layer has it's own wonderful fruity flavor! *I used a 16 oz bag of frozen berry medley which had the berries I needed.
I used a double batch of frosting, and it wasn't enough. As you can see it's pretty much plain, I didn't have enough for piping and such. So make a triple batch if you want to decorate all out.

*Here's a cake support tip: stick a cake dowel rod in the middle of the whole cake to keep it in place!

(I just noticed, you can see how tall it is, sitting next to a gallon of milk in the fridge!)

From Mommy I'm Hungry

Double batch of boxed white cake mix -2 boxes (or homemade batches if you prefer minus the egg, water, oil below)
6 eggs
1 c. water
2/3 c. vegetable oil
Zest of 1 orange + 2 T. juice
Zest of 1 lemon + 2 T. juice
Zest of 1 lime + 2 T. juice
1/2 c. fresh or frozen raspberries, mashed
1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries, mashed
1/2 c. fresh or frozen blackberries, mashed
Wilton's gel icing colors in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple

6 bowls
6 disposable round 8" foil cake pans (square pans would be fun too, check the $1 store!)

Make the batter for the cake as directed using the eggs, water and oil. Scoop 1 Cup of cake batter in each of the 6 bowls.

In the first bowl, mix raspberries and 1/4 tsp. red coloring in the batter.
In the second bowl, mix orange zest and juice, and 1/2 tsp. orange coloring.
In the third bowl, mix lemon zest and juice and 1/4 tsp. yellow coloring.
In the fourth bowl, mix lime zest and juice and 1/4 tsp. green coloring.
In the fifth bowl, mix blueberries and 1/4 tsp. blue coloring.
In the sixth bowl, mix blackberries and 1/4 tsp. purple coloring.

Prepare six 8 inch cake pans by greasing and flouring each generously. Using a spatula, spoon and spread each color of batter into its own cake pan. Bake in an oven, preheated to 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes, or until tops spring back when touched lightly. Allow to cool completely. Frost.


Cream Cheese Icing (For this cake, I doubled it -to the right)
1/2 c. butter (softened) -1C.
8 oz. pkg cream cheese (softened) -16 oz.
4 c. (1 lb) confectioner's sugar -8 C. (2 lb)
1 tsp Vanilla or lemon extract

Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and extract. Beat on high speed until smooth, light and fluffy. Frost cake.

From Mommy I'm Hungry


I am sharing a piece with Tina @
Photobucket


enjoy,

Print
Pin It!

19 Lovely Comments:

Courtney said...

I'm always a fan of multicolored cakes. This one is awesome!! :)

Melody said...

I can definitely see a request for this cake in my future! Beautiful!

Tina Butler said...

That cake is huge and so pretty. You did a awesome job I bet she was a happy little girl.

Mrsblocko said...

Your cake turned out beautifully! How did you get your frosting to turn out so smooth and thick? I made this cake and mine had lots of issues.

Anonymous said...

I made a rainbow cake once, years ago, but it was just plain vanilla flavored and did NOT look as pretty as yours! excellent job! I also recently saw a rainbow cake that was "tie-dye"...instead of entire layers being colored, you divide it up and just put each measured portion in on top of each other...I'm not explaining it well! Anyway, great job :-)

pixen said...

It's so colorful!!! I don't think I can eat such fabulous cake. Just look at the vibrant colors... it's as if really dip in rainbow! It's not only great with kids but adult as well. Surely brought out the child in us. All I can say was 'gorgeous, scrumptious... and so sexy' :-D So kind of you to share the recipe and yummy picts!

Nurit said...

Wow, although I never use food coloring, I got to say this looks impressive.

Betty said...

Hi, compliments is very very very particular and so beautiful.
bye and have a good day.
sorry for my bad English!
Betty

NikiTheo said...

Awesome cake!!! I don't even know if I have enough cake pans to do so many layers! And I would def have to remove a shelf in the fridge to get that in there!
Happy birthday to your little one!

Deeba PAB said...

That's a drop dead gorgeous cake Rachelle...would be a winner with my kids too. Fabulous!

Deanna said...

This is beautiful! I love how you added the fruit in with the different colors, what a great idea!

Me said...

Rachelle, you have once again outdone yourself! This so rocks!! I love it!! The flavored layers are a wonderful idea!! This cake is beyond beautiful!

Kristi said...

Nice post! I did a rainbow cake, too. I didn't know they were so popular. See mine aaaaaaaaaaaahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1RpA2pLkE

Nancy said...

That is a great cake. I am not sure I have the patience for this, but I think I am going to give it a try.

Post a Comment